Eunice practices international commercial litigation and arbitration at Ascendant Legal, a Singapore law firm in Formal Law Alliance with Norton Rose Fulbright. Eunice also advises on regulatory issues and has handled matters involving the Competition & Consumer Commission of Singapore, the Commercial Affairs Department and the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
Before joining Ascendant Legal, Eunice was appointed a District Court Judge and Assistant Registrar of the Supreme Court of Singapore. As an Assistant Registrar of the Supreme Court of Singapore, Eunice heard matters involving commodities, shipping, construction, and complex commercial disputes.
Prior to her appointment as a Judge, Eunice worked with two senior counsels, who are leading practitioners and international arbitrators, where she served as junior counsel or tribunal secretary in complex international commercial and investment arbitrations regularly involving claims of over US$100 million and covering a wide range of industries, including energy, mining, and shareholder and joint venture disputes.
Eunice graduated from the Singapore Management University and subsequently obtained an L.L.M. degree from Columbia University on a Kathryn Agguirre Worth Memorial Scholarship.
Eunice is qualified as an Advocate & Solicitor of Singapore and is a member of the Bar of the State of New York.
- Acted for a global commodities trader in an application before the Singapore Courts for interim relief in support of international arbitrations seated in Singapore. The dispute in the arbitrations concerned quality disputes against an upstream supplier of marine fuel oil. The amount in dispute was over US$100 million.
- Acting for former directors of a previously public listed company in a shareholder dispute concerning the appointment of a financial advisor.
- Acted for the Government of Laos in a challenge to the arbitral tribunal’s jurisdiction to hear an investor’s claim of over US$890 million against the Government of Laos. This was the first case in Singapore concerning a jurisdictional challenge in respect of an investor-state arbitration.
- Acted for the Government of Laos in an application to enforce an SIAC award in Singapore concerning two gaming companies’ billion-dollar investment treaty claims against Laos.
- Acted for a subsidiary of the Government of Laos in an SIAC arbitration seated in New York involving a dispute over an investment in Laos.
- Acted for a global energy and commodities company in enforcing a US$70 million arbitral award against a private Indian company.
- Acted for a manufacturing group of companies in an SIAC arbitration involving a private equity dispute. The amount in dispute was over US$60 million.
- Acted for a Chinese entity in an application to set aside a US$149 million ICC arbitral award concerning the construction of a power plant. The contract for the construction of the plant was worth approximately US$450 million.
- Acted for a leading international sports marketing, media and event management company in an SIAC arbitration against an Arab broadcasting union. The dispute related to the payment of fees for television and mobile broadcasting rights in football tournaments in the Arab region.
- Acted for a Hong Kong conglomerate in an application to set aside an ICC partial arbitral award on liability.
- Acted for a well-known hotel operator in an investigation by the Competition & Consumer Commission of Singapore.
- Attorney-at-law of the State of New York (2018)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (2013)
- Consolidation of arbitral proceedings and its ramifications on a party’s right to challenge the jurisdiction of the tribunal and the arbitral award, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (21 March 2018) / YSIAC Newsletter Issue 18 (March 2018)
- Contributing author of The Law Governing Res Judicata in International Commercial Arbitration in Jurisdiction, Admissibility and Choice of Law in International Arbitration: Liber Amicorum Michael Pryles, Kluwer Law International 2018
- Evening Talk with Mr Toby Landau QC in YSIAC Newsletter Issue 2 (1 May 2015)
- Co-editor of Selected Essays on International Arbitration (2013) by Michael Hwang S.C. (Academy Publishing)
- Assisted Mr Michael Hwang S.C. in preparing a chapter in the publication, “The Hearing” by Michael Hwang S.C. in David Joseph QC & David Foxton QC (eds), Singapore International Arbitration: Law & Practice (LexisNexis 2014)
- Co-author with Michael Hwang S.C. of the following case Reports for KluwerArbitration.com (Online International Arbitration Database) (ITA Country Reporter for Singapore):
- International Research Corp PLC v Lufthansa Systems Asia Pacific Pte Ltd and another  1 SLR 130
- PT First Media TBK (formerly known as PT Broadband Multimedia TBK) v Astro Nusantara International BV and others and another appeal  1 SLR 372
- L W Infrastructure Pte Ltd v Lim Chin San Contractors Pte Ltd  1 SLR 1221
- TMM Division Maritima SA de CV v Pacific Richfield Marine Pte Ltd  4 SLR 972
- International Research Corp. PLC v Lufthansa Systems Asia Pacific Pte Ltd and Datamat  1 SLR 973
- Astro Nusantara International BV and others v PT Ayunda Prima Mitra and others  1 SLR 636
- L W Infrastructure Pte Ltd v. Lim Chin San Contractors Pte Ltd and another appeal  1 SLR 125
- R1 International Pte Ltd v Lonstroff AG  3 SLR 166
Memberships and activities
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member of LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- Member of Young Singapore International Arbitration Committee Group (YSIAC)
- Member of Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Member of New York State Bar Association
- Mandarin Chinese