Jim Yang Teo is a dispute resolution lawyer based in Singapore. His practice is focused on cross-border commercial litigation and insolvency, and international arbitration.
Jim Yang has acted for clients in the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal, as well as international arbitrations administered under the SIAC and ICC Rules. He also advises on regulatory & compliance issues and fraud & asset recovery mandates. Prior to joining the firm, he graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (summa cum laude) degree from Singapore Management University, with prizes for academic performance.
- Litigation and disputes
- International arbitration
Key industry sectors
- Financial institutions
- Energy, infrastructure and resources
Bachelor of Laws (summa cum laude), Singapore Management University
- Awarded the Michael Hwang Prize for the Top Student in International Commercial Arbitration
- Dean's List.
Qualified as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Commercial & Civil Litigation
- Represented a multinational beverages company in the Singapore Court of Appeal and the Singapore International Commercial Court in a shareholder dispute with a Nepalese joint venture partner: Carlsberg Breweries A/S v CSAPL (Holdings) Pte Ltd  SGCA(I) 2.
- Represented the wealth structuring arm of an international private bank in the Singapore Court of Appeal in a dispute involving competing claims worth over US$190 million in relation to assets held under a Jersey unit trust.
- Represented Qatari vessel owners in discharging a Mareva injunction application: Milaha Explorer Pte Ltd v Pengrui Leasing (Tianjin) Co Ltd  SGCA 6.
- Represented a European bank in an admiralty action in Singapore in relation to a US$587 million mortgage claim against a cruise ship formerly operated by an Asian luxury cruise line.
- Represented a multinational bank syndicate in contested ship arrest proceedings in the Singapore High Court against voyage charterers and vessels owners in relation to a US$120 million mortgage claim.
- Advising a European terminals company in relation to a Malaysian joint venture over potential claims for unpaid terminal usage charges.
- Advised an Australian listed company in a cross-border defamation claim commenced in Singapore by a Singapore company in connection with the provision of marketing and business consultancy services.
- Representing private clients in Singapore High Court proceedings under the Mental Capacity Act for the revocation of a lasting power of attorney and the appointment of deputies.
- Represented the liquidators of a Singapore shipping company in relation to various claims and interpleader actions.
- Advised a Mexican energy company on potential asset recovery claims in relation to funds in a Mexican trust.
- Advised a multinational elevator company's Singapore office in the conduct of internal and regulatory investigations in relation to workplace safety and health issues.
- Represented a Southeast Asian mobile network operator in an SIAC expedited procedure arbitration in relation to a telecommunications towers dispute.
- Represented a Southeast Asian satellite operator in an SIAC arbitration against a Pacific state and state-owned entity in a dispute over nationwide satellite broadband services.
- Represented a regional logistics company against a Southeast Asian state in relation to an abandoned shorebase project.
- Represented award creditors in Singapore enforcement and setting-aside proceedings in relation to SIAC awards worth US$37 million.
- "Investigations and enforcement actions: When can civil proceedings be stayed on the ground of parallel criminal proceedings?", Norton Rose Fulbright (September 2022), https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en/knowledge/publications/4b681a8a/investigations-and-enforcement-actions (with Wilson Ang, Chew Kei-Jin and Jeremy Lua).
- "Withholding evidence on the ground of Common Law Public Interest Immunity in Singapore", Norton Rose Fulbright – Regulation Tomorrow (September 2021), https://www.regulationtomorrow.com/asia/withholding-evidence-on-the-ground-of-common-law-public-interest-immunity-in-singapore/ (with Wilson Ang, Jeremy Lua and Tyne Lam).
- "Singapore to enshrine workplace anti-discrimination laws", Norton Rose Fulbright – Global Workplace Insider (September 2021), https://www.globalworkplaceinsider.com/2021/09/singapore-to-enshrine-workplace-anti-discrimination-laws/ (with Wilson Ang, Jeremy Lua and Ian Cheong).
- "Reformulating the test for ascertaining the proper law of an arbitration agreement: a comparative common law analysis" (2020) 17 Journal of Private International Law 439-472 (with Darius Chan).
- "Ascertaining the proper law of an arbitration agreement: The artificiality of inferring intention where there is none: Enka Insaat Ve Sanayi A.S. v OOO "Insurance Company Chubb"  EWCA Civ 574" (2020) 37 Journal of International Arbitration 635-648 (with Darius Chan).
Memberships and activities
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law